StepChange Debt Charity is the UK’s leading debt advice charity, helping over 630,000 every year to take back control of their finances, and their lives.
The support they offer is free, impartial and confidential and every client receives expert personalised advice to help them deal with their debts.
Visit their website for online advice, or call them on 0800 138 1111, Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm.
How does debt advice work?
1. They’ll ask for information about your finances to get a full picture of your situation, helping you create a realistic monthly budget to see what you can afford to pay towards your debts.
2. You’ll receive tailored debt advice, a personal action plan and a recommended debt solution, including advice on IVA, DMP, DRO, insolvency, Scottish debt solutions and Equity Release.
3. You’ll then have all the information you need to make an informed decision and help to get your solution set up.
StepChange have a range of guides to help you deal with your debt in a variety of scenarios, including content related to debt and reduced income as a result of COVID-19:
• Guide to paying off a persistent debt can help you build a budget and see if increasing your monthly repayments can save you money.
• Guide to dealing with debt stress and mental health is designed to help spot the signs of debt stress and take action to overcome it.
• Debt and coronavirus information hub contains up-to-date information on coronavirus and finances, including SSP, claiming benefits and what help is available from creditors.
• How to deal with a reduced income due to coronavirus is a step-by-step guide to help people who are living on a reduced income due to coronavirus to take control of their finances.
• Life changes guide can help people who have experienced financial difficulty due to a change such as a bereavement, long term illness, divorce or separation, or job loss.
• Information about emergency funding for people in a cash crisis, which details where to get help now, this month, and over the longer term.
You can take StepChange’s 60 second debt test which:
• Helps people recognise the ‘danger signs’ of debt
• Tells people clearly if they have a debt problem
• Makes it easier to take the first step to tackle your debts
Visit www.stepchange.org/get-the-debt-test to take the test.