Leave a Legacy

Older Citizens Advocacy York has to raise money locally to run our service. OCAY is committed to being there for older people when they need us. If you decide to leave a gift in your will to us, you will be supporting us to make life better for older people in York.

Every single gift is vital to OCAY and we appreciate any gift you may choose to leave us after taking care of your family and friends. Whatever the value of your gift, it will go a long way to help someone who needs us. Your legacy doesn’t have to be a large sum for it to make a difference.

In the coming years the need for our services is set to rise dramatically because we have an ageing population. In just 30 years’ time, the UK population aged over 60 years will have increased by 50% so OCAY’s services will be even more vital in the future. The lives of older people can be transformed by the extra services and support we can provide using legacies and donations.

To find out more about leaving a donation in your will please contact us on 01904 676200.

How to leave a gift in your will

Having a will and keeping it up-to-date helps ensure that your wishes can be respected and your property and assets benefit people and causes you really care about. We would always recommend that you speak to a qualified professional such as a solicitor, when making or amending your will.

Your solicitor will be able to advise you on the required wording to carry out your wishes. If you wish to leave a gift to OCAY in your will, all you need is our charity details below:
Older Citizens Advocacy York, The Priory Street Centre, 15 Priory Street, York, YO1 6ET
and our registered charity number 1173795

If you already have a will

If you already have a will and you want to include a gift to OCAY in it, you may not need to rewrite it. You can ask a qualified professional such as a solicitor to add an amendment (called a codicil). As a general rule, if the change you wish to make is quite small or simple, you can use a codicil. However, if the change is more significant or complex you should make a new will.

What kind of gift can I leave to OCAY?

You can leave a specific sum of money or an item such as jewellery or a piece of art. Or you can leave a share in, or all of, what’s left of the value of your estate after family and friends have been taken care of. The advantage of leaving a share (also known as residuary gift) is that it remains the same over time, and you won’t need to change your will to keep up with inflation.

If you are interested in leaving a gift in your will and want more information, please feel free to contact us and we would be happy to talk to you further.